Once a refugee or asylee is resettled in the United States, they can petition to be reunited with an immediate family member who is still overseas. Refugee Services of Texas is able to assist with this process. RST helps the Texas based family member fill out and submit the Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) and then ensures the family member is resettled in the same location as their family member seeking reunification. Learn more about family reunification in the U.S. from the UNHCR here.


A refugee or asylee can file an Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) to be reunited with family members if:

  • Your family member is spouse, parent or unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Your family member is outside of their country of origin 
  • You and your family member are from Bhutan, Afghanistan, Burma, Burundi, Central African Republic, Colombia, Cuba, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Mali, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Uzbekistan, Somalia, or El Salvador  

Contact your local RST office for more information.